Medical, Nursing, Dental, Pharmacy, etc Schools in Nepal

Various courses are available for Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, Dental, Optometry, Medical Imaging, and Medical Lab education in Nepal.

Medical School 

Community Medicine Assistant (CMA) - 15 months after Class 10 (CTEVT)
Health Assistant (HA) - 3 years after Class 10 (CTEVT)
MBBS - 5.5 years after Class 12.
MD/MS - 3 years after MBBS

Duration: 5.5 yrs = 4.5 yrs school (9 semesters) + 1 year internship
Pre-requisite: Class 12 (High School graduate)

Semesters 1 & 2
Anatomy, Physiology, Bio-chemistry
Semesters 3, 4, & 5
Community Medicine; Forensic Medicine, Pharmacology, Pathology, Microbiology
*Clinical postings begin in less intensive units like Wards, OPD, etc.
Clinical: Semesters 6, 7, 8, & 9
Community Medicine, Surgery, Pharmacology, Anesthesiology, Dermatology and Venereology, Psychiatry, ObGyn, Pediatrics, ENT, Ophthalmology, Orthopedics.
* Clinical postings

Health Assistant (HA)
Duration: 3 years (by CTEVT)
Pre-req: SLC (HA is also known as PCL in General Medicine)

First year * English-100 * Nepali-100 * Social Studies-50 * Anatomy/Physiology-100 * Botany-100 * Zoology-100 * Chemistry-100 * Physics-100 * Mathematics, Statistics and Computer-100
Second Year * Medicine -I (Clinical Method, communicable disease and system disease) 100 * Surgery-I (General Surgery and orthopedics and Physiotherapy) 100 * Clinical Pathology (Microbiology, Parasitology, Biochemistry, Hematology)100 * OB/GYN 100 * Pharmacology and Pharmacy100 * Environmental Health 100 * Health Education 100 * PHC/Family Health (Nutritional, maternal child, family planning, population issues)100 * Epidemiology and Community diagnosis 100 * Basic Medical Procedures/ First Aid 100
Third Year * Pediatrics - assessment * Medicine II (A. Psychiatry B. Dermatology/Sexually transmitted infections) -assessment * Surgery-II (ENT, Dentistry, Ophthalmology) - assessment * Comprehensive Clinical Practice 150 (Emergency, Medicine, Surgery – ENT, Eye, General Surgery, Clinical Pathology (Laboratory), Pharmacy, Pharmacology (Dispensing), Obs/Gyne, Family Health (MCH, FP), Basic Medical Procedures * Comprehensive community field practice -assessment (Community Health, Diagnosis [a. Environmental Health, b. Epidemiology and Communicable disease c. Health Education d. PHC/ Health post attachment])

-A foreign graduate (for eg. MBBS) may practice in the USA after successful completion of the residency program and becoming MD.

Nursing School
Auxiliary Nurse Midwife (ANM) - 18 months after Class 10 (CTEVT).
PCL Nursing (Staff Nurse) - 3 years after Class 10 (CTEVT and other).
BSN/BN - 4 years after Class 12.
MSN/MN - 2 years after BSN/BN
Ph.D. Nursing - 5 years after MSN/MN

Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN) (Tribhuvan University)
Pre-requisite: Class 12 (High School graduate)
Duration: 4 yrs
Year 1: Integrated Health Sciences, Fundamentals of Nursing, Community Health Nursing, Nutrition & Diet Therapy Theory
Year 2: Adult Nursing, Geriatric Nursing, Psychiatric Nursing, Nursing Concepts, Social & Behavioral Science
Year 3: Midwifery, Child Health Nursing, Family and Reproductive Health Nursing
Year 4: Management and Health Economics, Educational Science, Research and Biostatistics, Practicums

BSN (Pokhara University)
Semester I
Anatomy and Physiology I, Biochemistry, Pharmacology/Therapeutics, Nutrition and Dietetics, Technical English, Principle and Practice of Nursing I, Laboratories and Practicum
Semester II
Anatomy and Physiology II, Microbiology and Immunology, Pathophysiology and Instrumentation, Principle and Practice of Nursing II & III, Community Health Nursing I, Laboratories and Practicum
Semester III
Community Health Nursing II-IV, Nursing Concept and Theories I-II, Medical Sociology and Health Psychology, Practicum
Semester IV
Adult Health Nursing I-VI, Practicum
Semester V
Child Health Nursing I-II, Basic Epidemiology, Community Health Nursing V, Mental Health Nursing I-II, Practicum
Semester VI
Obstetrical (Midwifery) Nursing I-V & Practicum
Semester VII
Obstetrical (Midwifery) Nursing VI, Community Health Nursing VI, Bio-statistics, Gynecological Nursing I, Practicum
Semester VIII
Education I & II, Health Research Methodology, Nursing Management I & II, & Practicum

PCL Nursing/ Staff Nurse
Duration: 3 years after SEE (Class 10)

-Foreign Nursing graduates may practice in the USA by gaining a US RN/LPN license after taking the NCLEX exam.

Dental School
Bachelors of Dental Surgery (BDS) - 5.5 years after Class 12

-A foreign-educated dentist may obtain a D.D.S. or D.M.D. degree from a CODA-accredited program by attending an advanced standing program in the United States. An advanced standing program allows an individual to complete the D.D.S. or D.M.D. degree within two to three years of study.

Pharmacy School

D.Pharma (Diploma in Pharmacy) - 2 yr (CTEVT)
B.Pharma (Bachelors in Pharmacy) - 4 yr
M.Pharma (Masters in Pharmacy) - 2 yrs after B.Pharma
PharmD (Doctor in pharmacy) - 2.5 yrs after B.Pharma (KU)
Ph.D. in Pharmacy

-Any foreign-trained pharmacist wishing to work in the United States must first be certified by the Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Examination Committee (FPGEC). The foreign graduate must have trained from an approved school in their home jurisdiction, must have a current valid license, must also be fluent in English. 

Optometry (Eye/vision) School

Bachelor of Optometry (B. Optom) - 4 years after Class 12.
Masters of Optometry (M. Optom)

- Foreign optometry school education is not useful in the USA.

Medical Imaging (eg: X-ray)

BSc MIT (Medical Imaging Technology) (4 years after 10+2)

- A normal Radiographer license requires a 2-year associate or 4-year bachelor's degree in the USA. But it must be from an institution accredited by an agency that ARRT recognizes. (link)

Medical Sonographer

- An Associate's or Bachelors's degree from an approved program is required to apply for a Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (RDMS) in the US.

Medical Lab/ Pathology

BSc MLT (Medical Laboratory Technology) (4 years after 10+2)

Lab Assistant (1 year after class 10/SLC)
Level:  स्वास्थ्य सेवाका चौथो तह तथा राजपत्र अनंकित द्वितीय श्रेणी (प्राविधिक)

Respiratory Therapist

- An Associate's or Bachelors's degree from an approved program is required to apply for RT license in the US.

Registered Dietician

- An ACEND approved Dietician program must be completed before applying for a Registered Dietician license in USA. Some states do not require an RD license for a dietician to work as a dietician.  

No comments:

Post a Comment