The Kerung Rasuwagadi border was used for mutual transaction between Nepal and Tibet (China) for hundreds of years. But it was formally opened for bilateral trade in 2014 Dec as the alternative to the Tatopani border. When 2015 earthquake fully blocked Tatopani border, Kerung border emerged as the main trading point. In 2017 Aug 30, Keyrung border declared as the international border allowing citizens from third countries to cross as well.
The Kathmandu-Kerung route can be divided into two segments: Kathmandu to Betrawoti, and Betrawoti to Kerung.
|Kathmandu Kerung Road|
There are three roads available for Kathmandu-Betrawoti segment.
1. Balaju (ring road) - Kakani - Bidur - Betrawoti : 74kms
2. Kalanki (ring road) - Thankot - Galchhi - Bidur - Betrawoti : 80kms
3. Samakhusi (ring road) - Tokha - Sunkhani - Bidur - Betrawoti : 58 kms
Roads available for Betrawoti-Kerung segment: (li)
1. Betrawoti - Dhunche - Syafrubesi (54kms) - Kerung (+15kms)
2. Betrawoti - Mailung - Syafrubesi (31kms) - Kerung (+15kms) along Trisuli, under construction
China completed Lhasa-Shigatse railway in 2014 Aug. Shigatse (Xigazê) is the nearest large Chinese city from Nepal. Shigatse-Kerung rail line in Chinese side is under construction and expected to complete by 2022.
About 100 kms proposed Kerung-Kathmandu railway will join Chinese border town Kerung to Kathmandu. This train line will be 85% underground. This project is the part of OBOR and its estimated cost is about USD 2.5bn. (li)
2018 Jun 21: Nepal & China agreed to built Kerung-Kathmandu rail line in around 7 years during PM Oli's visit to China.
Tags: Betrawati, Betrabati, keyrung, Kyirong, Gyirong Town (吉隆镇),