End political interference in the Institute of Medicine (IOM) and appoint dean on the basis of seniorityDr Kumud Kumar Kafle who was first in line to become the dean on the basis of seniority was appointed as IOM dean. However, he retired after one month due to his age limit.
2nd Hunger Strike | August 11-17, 2012 | 6 days
Since TU was once again dillydallying on dean appointment based on seniority, Dr KC reiterated the demands of the first hunger strike.Dr Prakash Sayami appointed as dean on seniority basis.
3rd Hunger Strike | January 11-24, 2014 | 14 days
Despite Dr Sayami’s decision to stop granting affiliation to new medical colleges, the TU didn’t cooperate and Dr Sayami resigned. This prompted Dr KC to start a third round of protest. Suspension of several TU officials, resignation of the then dean Shashi Sharma and dean appointment based on seniority. Agreement reached to end affiliation to new medical colleges, draw up of a national medical education bill, and appoint dean at IOM on seniority basis.
4th Hunger Strike | 2014 February 8 -15 | 8 days
* Immediate action against IOM’s corrupt officials
* Suspension of the directive of parliamentary committee on granting affiliation to new colleges
* Implement the recommendations of the Medical Education Commission
* Take actions against Kathmandu University (KU) officials since KU gave affiliations to new medical colleges in violation of past agreements and cabinet decision
* IOM, NAMS and other bodies should have officials appointed on seniority basis
* Immediately start the process to establish medical colleges in rural areas
-Dr Rakesh Srivastav appointed dean on the basis of seniority
-Agreement reached to seek clarification from TU officials
-Ask CIAA to look into cases regarding new affiliation
-Call university meeting within 21 days to make IOM autonomous.
5th Hunger Strike | 2015 Feb 20 – Mar 3 | 12 days
No new affiliations to medical colleges until medical education policy is in place,
– Implement previous agreements
– If CIAA chief is found exerting pressure in college affiliations then action must be taken against him
– Medical, nursing and paramedical colleges should be free of cost or have nominal fee
– Graduate and higher-level of medical education should be completely free of cost
- No new affiliations would be granted until the formulation of Medical Education Policy
– Report of the probe committee on irregularities to be sent to CIAA for further investigation
– Bill regarding medical university to be presented in parliament within three months
- Probe committee report to be implemented to formulate medical education policy
-Officials to be appointed on seniority basis, provision to be included to de-affiliate medical colleges if they fail to meet criteria, among others
6th Hunger Strike | 2015 Aug 24 – Sep 6 | 14 days
* Mathema report be made public and implemented
* Past agreements be immediately implemented
* New officials be appointed based on seniority and performance
* Action be taken against the owners of Janaki Medical College.
* Agreement to form medical education commission as per the recommendation of the Mathema report
* Gradually reduce the number of seats in medical colleges to 100 in the next three years
* MBBS and MD fees to be fixed at Rs 3.5 million and Rs 2.3 million respectively
* Action to be taken against TU and KU officials if found involved in irregularities, among other things
7th Hunger Strike | 2015 Sep 19- 29 | 11 days
* Implementation of the 11-point agreement from last round of talks.
(Dr KC called off the hunger strike citing the current crisis in the country caused by the agitation in Tarai)
- 2015 Sep 20: Constitution of Nepal 2015 promulgated.
8th hunger strike | 2016 July 10 – 25 | 16 days
* Add important points in the medical policy
* Impeachment of CIAA chief Lokman Singh Karki
* Manmohan Academy bill be withdrawn from parliament
* Past agreements regarding dean appointment and others be implemented.
* Government to buy the infrastructure of the Manmohan Memorial Institute of Health Sciences by the government
* Include in the proposed bill a provision of at least one state-run medical college in all provinces
* No permission to be given to new medical, dental and nursing colleges for 10 years in the Kathmandu Valley
* Government to make necessary amendments to the Health Profession Education Commission Bill that calls for free medical seats in government medical colleges and establishing medical schools in each province.
* On his demand for impeachment of CIAA chief Karki, Dr KC was informed that the issue has already entered parliament.
9th hunger strike | 2016 Sep 26
10th hunger strike |
11th fast-unto-death | 2017 August 15 | 23 days
12th fast-unto-death: | 2017 Sep 25 | Postponed
13th Hunger Strike | 2017 Oct 6- 19 | 14 days | PM Deuba
demands: * remove Dr Shashi Sharma as the dean of Institute of Medicine * resignation of Chief Justice Gopal Parajuli calling him as "a corrupt individual having links with the mafia", also accused court as "selling justice", also said CJ has various Date of birth in different certificates.
Jan 8: the same day he alleged CJ Parajuli supreme court ordered his arrest in 'contempt of court' charge. arrested on 8th and released on
Jan 10: with heavy pressure from Medical community court ordered to release Dr KC, investigate citizenship of CJ Parajuli and reopen the case of IOM dean Dr Sharma.
Feb 1: Dr KC filled RTI on to get info on CJ Parajuli citizenship and DOB. (li)
Feb 21: Dr KC released his own certificates to media. DOB in his citizenship is 1956 Oct 12, DOB in his SLC certificate is 1957 Feb 6 and DOB in his promotion application is 1956 Dec 12. (li)(li)
Mar 15: CJ Parajuli resigned from his post after his dismissal.
15th Hunger Strike | Started: 2018 Jul
demands: * ban for 10 years on new medical college in Kathmandu valley *
List of Medical Colleges in Nepal Tribhuvan University affiliated Institute of Medicine (IOM) - Maharajgunj, Kathmandu - www.iom.edu.np Universal Medical College (UCMS) - Bhairawaha - www.ucmsnepal.com National Medical College (NMC) -Birgunj - www.nmcbir.edu.np Janaki Medical College (JMC) - Janakpur - www.jmcedu.com.np KIST Medical College (KISTMCTH) - Imadol, Lalitpur - www.kistmcth.edu.np Chitwan Medical College (CMC) - Bharatpur, Chitwan - www.cmc.edu.np Gandaki Medical College (GMCTHRC) - Lekhnath-2, Pokhara - www.gmc.edu.np Nepalese Army Institute of Health Sciences ( NAIHS) - Bhandarkhal, Kathmandu Kathmandu University affiliated College Of Medical Sciences (CMS) - Bharatpur - www.cmsnepal.edu.np Nepalgunj Medical College - Chisapani, Nepalgunj - www.ngmc.edu.np Kathmandu Medical College (KMC) - Duwakot and Sinamangal -www.kmc.edu.np Nepal Medical College (NMC) - Jorpati, Kathmandu - www.nmcth.edu Kathmandu University School of Medical Sciences (KUSMS) - Dhulikhel- dhulikhelhospital.org Lumbini Medical College (LMC) - Tansen, Palpa - www.lmc.edu.np Nobel Medical College - Biratnagar - nobelmedicalcollege.com.np Manipal Medical College of Medical Sciences (MCOMS) - Pokhara -www.manipal.edu.np Non-affiliated
B.P. Koirala Institute Of Health Sciences (BPKIHS) - Dharan - www.bpkihs.edu Patan Academy of Health Sciences (PAHS)- Patan - www.pahs.edu.np National Academy of Medical Sciences (NAMS) - Mahaboudha- nams.org.np/ on pipeline Manmohan Medical College - Nagarjun, Kathmandu Peoples Medical College - Nayabajar, Kathmandu - pdch.com.np Nepal Police Medical College Kathmandu National Medical College Birat Medical College Devdaha Medical College Ashwin Medical College